- College and Career Readiness Courses
- Classroom Strategies for
Social Emotional Learning
Strategies for Social Emotional Learning
Social Emotional Learning (SEL) is rightfully at the top of most districts’ agendas these days. After all, “Emotions are everywhere. There is never an instant of waking life when they are not present and influencing the energy level we bring to tasks, the level of focus, the amount of investment.” (The Skillful Teacher, p. 313)
This is not a new area for us at RBT. One fourth of The Skillful Teacher has always been devoted to essential components of Social Emotional Learning. Specifically, the chapters on:
- Personal Relationship Building
- Classroom Climate - how to build community, support risk-taking, teach responsibility, goal setting and decision-making by giving students choice and voice
- Expectations - how to convince low-confidence, low-performing students they can grow their ability and show them how
- Discipline - eliminating disruptions and off-task behavior with calm, clear supportive responses
- Cooperative Learning focus on the direct teaching of social skills
Teachers learn how to build a learning environment conducive to helping students acquire specific SEL skills, including specific strategies to try out in their classrooms.
SEL provides teachers with strategies to handle situations from trauma-induced explosive behavior, to direct teaching of social skills, to giving students the tools for conflict resolution amongst themselves.
Teachers learn more about:
- Why and how SEL can improve academic achievement
- Strategies and approaches for developing students’ SEL
- Where to start using SEL in their classroom or school
- How to implement new strategies for growing their students’ SEL
- Creating a plan for SEL
Resources available to support SEL
Select State to Begin
*not all courses are available in all states or with partners
Making Student Thinking Visible
In this course you will learn skills used to Make Students Thinking Visible (MSTV). You will explore these principles in depth and practice building a robust talk environment that builds student confidence...